Saturday 2 February 2013

How to Make Fresh Coconut Milk

Ingredients:

  • Mature coconut
  • Warm/hot water
Materials:                                                                
  • Coconut grater(optional)
  • Knife (to crack coconut)
  • Blender/food processor
  • cheese cloth
  • 2 stainless steel bowls
Method:
Crack open the coconut and pour the water from it inside a bowl. Use the coconut grater to grate all the meat out into the bowl. If you do not have a coconut grater, you can use a knife, although an easier method is to put both halves of the coconut in the freezer for a few hours. After it is out of the freezer, the white meat should dislodge out of the shell.

Put the grated coconut meat or the dislodged whole piece of meat in a blender and make sure to add the coconut water in there if you already haven’t. Add a bit of warm to hot water to the blender and blend it until it has a very milky consistency. Those of you who added the chunk of coconut would need to do this step for little longer.
At this point you can either strain it or add more water for milk with a thinner consistency. Put cheesecloth/old t-shirt or cloth over a bowl and strain the coconut and water mixture. Manually squeeze as much coconut milk you can out of the pulp. Use immediately or store the milk in a glass container in the fridge for 2-3 days. You can also freeze it.

See how to make coconut oil with the coconut milk you just made.

Note* Do not throw out the leftover pulp just yet! Learn how to make coconut flour with the pulp and save tons of money by not buying it at the store.


What are your favourite ways of consuming coconut milk? Post your responses below.
If you liked this post and would like to see more, subscribe to get email updates whenever there is a new post.
Subscribe to I Love Traditional Foods by Email

5 comments:

  1. How much water? I have a coconut on my counter I want to try making coconut milk and coconut flour with it. but I need a rough estimate on the water a cup or a quart? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Dina,
    You can add as much water as you would like to get the consistency you want, and depending on the amount of milk you want. Start with a half cup of water to get things started in the blender and then add another cup and so on. I generally add a cup or two.

    Let me know how it turns out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made it in total it was about 2 cups. I made the coconut flour too. I made a pizza crust with it. while it tasted good it didn't hold up as well as the can of coconut flour I bought. I made tapioca pudding with the milk and I don't know what I did wrong but it was bitter. :(

      Delete
    2. Fresh coconut milk should be slightly sweet, so I don't know why your pudding turned out bitter. Was it maybe some of the other ingredients you might have used I'm also assuming you used some sort of sweetener in the pudding?

      One important thing to note is that when buying coconuts, even with good coconut picking techniques, you sometimes end up with a rotten/spoiled one. Shake a coconut and make sure it has a lot of water in it. No cracks should be found, and the "eyes" should not be wet.

      Delete
    3. No cracks and it had quite a bit of water when I shook it at the store. the only thing I put in the milk was the coconut, filtered water and the water from the coconut. the pudding was tapioca. it had an egg yolk coconut sugar and vanilla and he coconut milk. the only thing I can think of was the coconut milk was in the fridge for 2 days before I made the pudding. Maybe I let it sit for too long.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...